Sunday, May 28, 2006

Day 16 May 26 Fionnphort


Day 16 May 26 Fionnphort
Originally uploaded by rhesus42.
Today's Track

Today dawned with torrential rain and gale force winds blowing from the west. Since I had the spare parts needed to fix the gradually failing gear change on my bike, I arranged with my hosts to spend the morning doing repairs I replaced the gear change/break control units, and checked and adjusted everything I could think of. This took most of the morning. Then, miraculously, as I was having a cup of tea having finished the maintenance work, the wind dropped, the rain stopped and the weather brightened. I headded out to test my fixes and to catch the ferry to Iona. I spent the afternoon cycling around Iona, sightseeing and taking photos.

Today's photo actually shows the last passenger getting onto the ferry back to Mull. Today's track looks a little strange since it includes the ferry crossing to Mull and a long time spent in Fionnphort's only pub. As I arrived there, I met up with Luc, a Belgian cyclist on a tour of Scotland. I'd actually passed him a couple of days earlier when on my way to Oban. Luc is spending 4 weeks cycling around Scotland and in the process is raising money for a little girl with a brain tumor. More power to him. He's also camping as he tours, making my use of B&B's look like a really soft option! We spent a very pleasurable couple of hours in the pub shooting the breeze and putting the world to rights. It was a priviledge to buy him a beer.

Actually our paths may well cross again. He is also touring on Skye, though he will get there a day or two before me. Good luck luc!

No comments: