Tuesday, May 16, 2006

May 16 Day 6 Broseley


May 16 Day 6 Broseley
Originally uploaded by rhesus42.
The terrain north of Bishop's Cleeve continues to be very flat, so progress was brisk early in the ride. Today's picture is a narrow boat on the Avon about to pass under Eckington bridge. Pershore came and went and I was soon in Worcester. Gear changing had become increasingly difficult, so I spent a few minutes trying to find a bike shop to get some spray lubricant. I failed, so headed on towards Stourport. A couple of miles outside Worcester, the reason for the trouble became immediately aooarent when the rear gear cable broke. I was left with drive , which was a blessing, but a very low ratio. I headed back towards Worcester and as luck would have it, passed a bloke holding a bike and chatting to a friend. Mick, for that was his name, was able to direct me to Peddlers bike shop where Rob was magic in helping replace the failed cable. I bought a spare and some additional tools in case I need to do a subsequent repair on the side of the road.

After that adventure, the rest of the ride to Broseley, just outside Ironbridge, was relatively straightforward. I managed to miss a photo opportunity with the Severn Valley railway, a restored, steam operated line. I was about half a mile short of a perfect vantage point when the last train of the day went by.

Broseley's claim to fame, by the way, was the manufacture of clay pipes. My mother assures me that a great aunt of hers was famed for smoking one!

No comments: